Windows registry is a database that stores low level settings of Windows. It also stores other third-party applications’ settings. Sometimes, Users may need to backup or restore windows registry for various reasons.
Corrupted registries can cause many problem your PC. Normally, It can be corrupted by third-party programs, services or virus infection. So, You should create backup so that you can restore when you need. It is very easy to do. Though many peoples don’t know the procedures.
You can create backup of all existing registries at once. You are also allowed to make individual backup. To do it, You will need to open Windows Registry Editor. You can open it by following different ways. But the most popular method is –
- Press CTRL + R to open Run.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
Alternatively, You can just open start menu or metro menu and type regedit and click on the right app. Anyway, After opening it, You will have to do the following things-
- Click on File from the menu and choose Export.
- Now, Choose the location where you are wanting to store backup. Then mark All from the Export Range section in the left bottom corner.
- Give a name and click on Save.
By this way, You can store full backup of all registries in windows. But if you want to do it for individual registries, You can do it very easily.
- Just open and select your existing registry folder from the left side.
- Now, Right click on it and select Export.
- Choose the location where you wanna store backups, Give a name and click on Save. But make sure, You Selected Branch is marked in export range section in left bottom corner.
How to Restore Windows Registry from a Backup:
Now, It’s time to know how to restore the registries from backup. It is also very easy. You just need to do these things-
- Open Registry Editor.
- Click on File and select Import.
- Now, Choose the backupped registry file and click on Open.
So, These are the ways to backup and restore registries in Microsoft Windows operating systems. This trick is applicable for all versions from XP to Windows 10. There are also some third-party software which can do the similar things more easily. But i have not used any of them. That’s why i can’t recommend any right now.
Thank you have visited this post How to Backup and Restore Registry in Windows. I wish this post can be useful for you… 🙂